Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Planning & Researching The Grand Gesture Of Love.

I've been thinking about doing this Grand Gesture for a few days now. I came up with the idea as a way to say "I love you" that would really show the whole of my feelings. It all sounded so good in my head. Easy enough, get some balloons and tie notes to them. Well, I started doing some research on pricing and thinking about how I could actually carry this plan to fruition.

First:

There is a lot more to it then just letting these notes go. In order for her to know what lengths I am going to, she must receive these love letters. "I'll just put stamps on them in hopes that whoever finds them will mail them to her." Well, the cost of postage just went up. I went to USPS.com and found that I can buy pre-paid post cards for .26 cents a piece, good much better then .41 cents per stamp. After a trip to the closest Post Office, I discovered that they have not received their first shipment since the price hike.

Next:

I knew that I had seen small tanks of helium in a retail store that I won't mention. (Let them due there own evil corporation advertising.) I went to their website and found it to say: these are not available in stores, only online. At $50 bucks per tank, not including balloons I was struck with the next dilemma. Can I afford to do this. One tank is said to fill 50 balloons, and my "original" plan was to send up "99 luft balloons." Thanks to Nena. Well, I may have to scale that back on the first run. (I plan to do it more then once. When money allows for more.) Good news, the Grocery next to my apt sells inflated balloons for .99 cents or $9.99 per dozen. Taking care of the ribbon and everything.


As, I read on another blog. It doesn't necessarily take some huge display to say "I love you". Though, in true movie fashion it should take time, money, or at least some sort of sacrifice to really mean something. That's what makes it Grand. Cleaning the dishes, or picking up your clothes is a gesture in itself, but it would most likely go unnoticed.

So to do a little Mastercard style spoof:

50 postcards = $13
50 Balloons = $42
Saying = "I love you" in a way she'll never forget.

PRICELESS.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I randomly found this, and I think it's an interesting concept.

Does it really cost that much to fill up balloons? My best friend did that for me a while back, filling up all these balloons just to ask me to a dance. It never occurred to me to think about the costs of such an act.

Jessica said...

I randomly found this, and I think it's an interesting concept.

Does it really cost that much to fill up balloons? My best friend did that for me a while back, filling up all these balloons just to ask me to a dance. It never occurred to me to think about the costs of such an act.